Naharnet
Latest stories
Jumblat slams Qassem's 'irresponsible' stances that 'provoke Israelis'

Druze leader Walid Jumblat has described Hezbollah chief Sheikh Naim Qassem’s latest remarks on supporting Iran in the event of a new war as “irresponsible, irresponsible, irresponsible.”

Warning that such remarks “provoke the Israelis,” Jumblat lamented in remarks to Lebanon’s L'Orient-Le Jour newspaper that Qassem’s statements “threaten the good progress that the government has achieved in the army’s plans in the south.”

W140 Full Story
UK's Mideast minister welcomes 'progress' in bringing Hezbollah arms under control

Minister for the Middle East and North Africa Hamish Falconer has held phone talks with Foreign Minister Youssef Rajji and welcomed the “progress” of the Lebanese Army in “bringing Hezbollah’s weapons in the south under state control.”

“The UK will continue to support all efforts to ensure security in Lebanon and across the region,” Falconer added, in a post on X.

W140 Full Story
Ambassador Cowell launches the British Lebanese Chamber of Commerce  

 

British Ambassador to Lebanon Hamish Cowell on Tuesday launched the British Lebanese Chamber of Commerce (BLCC) during a reception held at his residence. 

W140 Full Story
Gemayel describes Hezbollah as 'armed militia' in second heated budget session

Kataeb leader Sami Gemayel described Wednesday Hezbollah as an armed militia, as parliament discussed the 2026 budget for a second day in a row.

Gemayel said no one will invest in Lebanon as long as there are war and armed militias, which angered a Hezbollah MP.

W140 Full Story
Aoun envoy, US general discuss Mechanism work in meeting in Awkar

President Joseph Aoun's security and military Advisor Antoine Mansour met Tuesday with Mechanism's Assistant Chief U.S. Colonel David Leon Klingensmith at the U.S. Embassy in Awkar.

The meeting was attended by the Defense Attaché at the U.S. Embassy in Beirut, Colonel Jason Belknap.

W140 Full Story
Bassil warns Hezbollah against 'crime' of implicating Lebanon in 'new destruction'

Free Patriotic Movement chief Jebran Bassil on Tuesday strongly criticized Hezbollah in the wake of Sheikh Naim Qassem’s latest remarks about supporting Iran.

“The basis of the Memorandum of Understanding (between the FPM and Hezbollah) was to Lebanonize Hezbollah’s choices and weapons through partnership, state building and defending Lebanon,” Bassil said in a post on the X platform.

W140 Full Story
Israeli strike targets motorbike in Batoulay, killing one person

A man was killed Tuesday in an Israeli airstrike on his motorcycle in the southern town of Batoulay.

The Israeli army said it has targeted a Hezbollah member in the southern town of Deir Qanoun.

W140 Full Story
Retired soldiers protest as MPs discuss 2026 budget in heated session

Retired soldiers gathered Tuesday at Beirut's Riad al-Solh Square in downtown Beirut to protest their salaries that have become too low to cover basic expenses, as parliament convened to discuss the 2026 budget.

The retirees also demanded better healthcare services and education for their children. They blocked the entrance to parliament, sparring with some MPs who tried to enter in their cars.

W140 Full Story
Two killed in Israeli strike on Kfar Rumman, raising Monday's death toll to three

Three people were killed on Monday in Israeli strikes -- one in the southern city of Tyre and two later in Kfar Rumman near the city of Nabatiyeh.

Hezbollah's Al-Manar television said the Tyre strike killed Sheikh Ali Noureddine, "who previously worked at Al-Manar channel as a presenter of religious programs".

W140 Full Story
Qassem says Hezbollah not neutral if Iran attacked, would decide then how to act

Hezbollah chief Sheikh Naim Qassem said Monday that Hezbollah will not remain “neutral” should Iran come under a new attack, but added that it would choose whether to intervene or not at the appropriate time.

“When (U.S. President Donald) Trump threatens (Iran’s supreme leader) Imam (Ali) Khamenei, he is threatening tens of millions who follow this leader,” Qassem said via video link during a Hezbollah rally in solidarity with Iran.

W140 Full Story