Naharnet
Latest stories
Hezbollah bloc slams authorities 'continued policy of submission and surrender'

Hezbollah’s parliamentary bloc on Thursday condemned what it called Lebanese authorities’ “continued policy of submission, surrender, and humiliating negotiations” with Israel, which is pressing on with its “killing, bombing, bulldozing, and destruction.”

W140 Full Story
What was discussed on third day of Lebanon-Israel talks?

A preliminary date for a new round of negotiations between Lebanon and Israel has been set for September 1 and the U.S. side pledged to follow up on the issues of captives and the border with both sides during this period, sources following the negotiations told LBCI television on Thursday, after the two sides concluded the third and last day of the seventh round of talks.

"There is no new progress on the pilot zones. Lebanon is insisting on a new zone, while Israel insists on verifying the first two zones," the sources said.

W140 Full Story
UNIFIL says Israel fired 113 projectiles on Lebanon Wednesday

U.N. peacekeepers continue to observe “daily violations of Lebanese airspace and military activities on the ground” and “yesterday’s 113 projectiles launched by IDF (Israeli army) are the highest recorded by UNIFIL since 21 June,” the U.N. force said on Thursday.

W140 Full Story
Lebanese and Israeli negotiators meet for third and final day in Rome

Lebanese and Israeli negotiators are meeting Thursday in Rome for a third and final day to discuss the implementation of a deal under which Israeli forces are supposed to withdraw from areas they are occupying in southern Lebanon in exchange for Hezbollah's disarmament.

On Wednesday, Israel requested that the day's talks with Lebanon end three hours early, a source in the negotiations told AFP, saying the head of the Israeli delegation, U.S. ambassador Yechiel Leiter, had blamed alleged "misleading leaks" by the Lebanese side.

W140 Full Story
Rights groups decry Israeli killing of journalist Amal Khalil as 'war crime'

Rights groups said Thursday that an Israeli attack in south Lebanon that killed reporter Amal Khalil and wounded another journalist earlier this year was an apparent "war crime".

The attack took place in the village of Al-Tiri on April 22, days after a ceasefire was announced between Israel and Hezbollah.

W140 Full Story
Overnight strikes on Burj al-Shemali, Mansouri and Majdalzoun wound 8 people

The Israeli army launched strikes overnight into Thursday on Burj al-Shemali, Mansouri and Majdalzoun, wounding four people.

Artillery shelling also targeted the areas of Mansouri, Majdalzoun and Haddatha, the National News Agency said, while troops detonated houses and buildings in Zawtar al-Sharqiyeh.

W140 Full Story
1 killed, 11 wounded in strike on Tebnine as Israel accuses Hezbollah of 'violating ceasefire'

The Israeli military said it began striking targets in southern Lebanon on Wednesday in response to a "blatant violation of the ceasefire" by Iran-backed Hezbollah, just as Israel and Lebanon held talks in Rome.

"In response to a blatant violation of the ceasefire by the Hezbollah terrorist organization, the IDF has begun conducting precise strikes in southern Lebanon," the military said in a statement, shortly after telling residents to evacuate a village in the area.

W140 Full Story
Italian FM tells Araghchi Iran's role 'crucial to halting Hezbollah military actions'

Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday that he held phone talks on the Iranian and Lebanese files with his Iranian counterpart Abbas Araghchi.

W140 Full Story
Defense and public works ministers inspect southern towns

Public Works and Transport Minister Fayez Rasamny and Defense Minister Michel Menassa on Wednesday made a field visit to southern Lebanon, including the towns of Qaqaaiyet al-Jisr and Zawtar al-Gharbiyeh, to assess the extent of damage inflicted by Israel’s attacks on infrastructure, roads and bridges, and to follow up on the implementation steps aimed at repairing them to enable residents to return.

W140 Full Story
Lebanon-Israel talks 'more positive' on second day

The atmosphere on the second day of Lebanese-Israeli negotiations in Rome was more positive than on the first, Baabda Palace sources told Al-Jadeed TV.

"The second day of negotiations saw three parallel and separate meetings at the political, military, and border levels. The Lebanese delegation presented a comprehensive proposal on the border issue, supported by documents covering the period from the Armistice Line to the Blue Line and the current situation. This proposal received American praise as well-structured," the sources said.

W140 Full Story